Flight of the Bumbles (Next To) LAST!

As I settle into my seat in the airplane I heave a sigh of relief. This therapy is working. I can almost make it to the plane now without hyperventilating, passing out or vomiting, or imagining all kinds of new hideous invasive scenarios--strip searches, pat downs, cavity searches.  

This time I made it without being detailed for backtalk!  

Oh no, I feel the tension rising...what would it be like next time? No! I'm calm, breathe, imagine peace, play the TSA game... I can do it.

Then I flick open the inflight magazine that describes the newest security innovation, full body chemical blows and X-rated skin-rays. (I knew it! I'm telling you, the goal is to get all of us flying naked!)

And once again, I'm reassured that our most vulnerable are secured by the ignorant insecure.

The tensions escalate. Suddenly, psycho-logically it dawns. It's an initiation--a college initiation. The tougher the process, the stronger the brainwash, the more the stupid college student feels a part of the even stupider group.

And, it's working. As I smile, relax and look forward to the most dangerous part of the flight, takeoff, I'm calm, cool and collected. I, and every other person feel more secure on flights (a comforting statistic provided by the TSA).

And secure for the most part, because we are so relieved to have made it through the perils of security.

Do fly the friendly skies.

No comments: